Our Brief History
Cambodian Youth Action (CYA) is a non-profit, nongovernmental organization legally registered with Ministry of Interior of Royal Government of Cambodia (November 11, 2014). We are a voluntarism based organization where most of our staff are working voluntarily toward our vision and mission.
CYA was founded in October, 2010 by Mr. Sophat Sorn (CYA President) after participating in an international work camp in Taiwan and becoming inspired by that transforming experience. As at that time Cambodians were poor and visas were hard to be obtained because of the isolation of Cambodia from global community, Mr. Sophat Sorn came to conclusion that intercultural experiences similar to his – so badly needed for Cambodian youth – can be offered only by hosting foreigners in Cambodia. Since 2016 CYA is also eligible to send Cambodian volunteers abroad.
CYA become the first organization providing workcamps in Cambodia which belongs to International Voluntary Service (IVS) network as a member of NVDA and CCIVS and a partner of SCI and ALLIANCE of European Voluntary Services. CYA is a full member of Network for Voluntary Development in Asia (NVDA) since 2012. CYA is a full member of Coordinating Committee of International Voluntary Service (CCIVS) since 2014. CYA is a partner of Service Civil International (SCI) (with its 40 branches around the world) since 2012. CYA is a partner of ALLIANCE of European Voluntary Service Organisations since 2017. CYA is the vice-president of NVDA in the period of 2016-2018.
Our project sites
CYA is committed to three main areas where we work together with local communities:
- Child and teenager education (through non-formal and informal learning)
- Improvement of living standard of community
- Environmental conservation
We host our international and Cambodian volunteers in 5 project sites which are run in cooperation with local community:
- CYA Learning Centre (CLC) for non-formal learning is the oldest and most prominent site of CYA
- Global Education Center (GEC) in Siem Reap is another non-formal education center
- Chea Smon E-Learning Center (Chea Smon School (CSS)) where we cooperate with local elementary school
- 24 September School (24 SEP) where we cooperate with local elementary school
- We also run an environmental conservation project in cooperation with Trapaing Sangke Eco-Tourism Fishing Community (TFC) to grow form seed, nurture and plant new mangroves and maintain the mangrove forest